Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pregnancy ramblings

Since I am nearing the end of my pregnancy adventure I thought I would reminisce about the past 9 months and share a few of my favorite and not so favorite aspects of pregnancy. 


Things I will miss about being pregnant:

  1. Maternity pants - I never thought I would fall in love with pull-on jeans, but they are heavenly. Not only are they a cinch to get on, but you never have to check to see if your fly is open because they have no zipper! Lets just hope I don't transition to Pajama Jeans after the arrival of The Cutlet.
  2. Always knowing what to wear - I'm not going to lie, it has been both a luxury and a curse to be limited to only a handful of outfits. Does it get old wearing the same thing every day? Yes. However, I am able to pick out an outfit in about 5 seconds. For those of you who know me well, this has not always been the case. I've been known to take up to 30 minutes to find and approve the appropriate outfit for a night out. Now I just have to decide if I feel like wearing my regular or skinny jeans.
  3. My month of sweets - During my first trimester I had an all out war with food. Luckily the consumption of anything containing sugar was not an issue. For approximately 6 weeks, I survived by eating ice cream, fruit and Nutella sandwiches. The issue corrected itself with the start of my second trimester, but it sure was fun to be a regular at Dairy Queen for a little while. 
Things I will not miss about being pregnant:

  1. The question "How are you feeling?" - No offense to anyone who has asked me this question, but it seems to be the only salutation that people use when talking with a pregnant person. When you have to answer the question at least once daily for approximately 6 months, it can get a bit tiring. Going forward I plan to address pregnant women differently. Perhaps I will consider using commentary such as "Aren't you loving your pregnancy? Those frequent trips to the bathroom are the perfect opportunity to reapply lipstick. Am I right?"
  2. The inability to breathe - No one warned me that when you are pregnant you can no longer breathe out of your nose. Most people tell you about the gross or uncomfortable side effects like stretch marks and cankles. What they fail to mention is that you constantly have the sensation that you are breathing through straws. Unfortunately, this symptom cannot be relieved with a Kleenex or the ol' farmer's blow. Instead you just have to teach your body to require less oxygen or breathe through your mouth.
  3. Waiting for The Cutlet to arrive - The idea that your baby can arrive whenever he/she decides is a bit challenging. Because babies are full term at 37 weeks and some women can go until  42 weeks, that leaves a relatively large window of 5 weeks. Throw in the possibility that your kid may decide to arrive early and you end up with about a two month period of time where anything is possible. Although I am saddened that we are going to fall into the "early" category, and I won't be able to share my birthday with The Cutlet, we are quite excited to meet him/her. It can happen anytime now, so wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. Time goes by way too fast! Can't wait to hear about your experience and see your little one! You will do great! Just remember: relax and BREATHE! :)

    ReplyDelete