Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hurry home

Colin went back down to Boulder for a 10 day work trip and came home last week in time to celebrate our Anniversary (and by "celebrate" I mean order pizza and rent a movie). This wasn't my first time having to man the ship alone, but it certainly was the most interesting. Here is what happened:

Not so fun things that happened while Colin was away
1) After 103,000 miles the original battery in our truck finally quit. It decided to do so while I was dropping Norah off at daycare. With a meeting scheduled to start in 20 minutes, freezing sleet, and only sandals on my feet, it wasn't one of my shining moments. Luckily our friend Mr. Chad S. Caya was available to rescue me later that day and help me get the truck over to a local mechanic. 

2) Not surprising, after my 20 minute walk in the above mentioned freezing sleet, the next day I came down with my very first sinus infection. For those of you who have yet to experience this wonderful ailment, consider the following equation: 

migraine + toothache + runny nose + fever + chills + sore nose from the two boxes of kleenex you just used + the feeling that your head may actually explode at any minute + now you know why Tom Hanks used that ice skate in the movie Castaway = sinus infection 

If you are stubborn like I am, you will likely try to fight it off on your own hoping that three bottles of saline spray, a warm compress affixed to your face, and going to bed every night at 7:00 pm will clear it all up. While these remedies may help you to feel comfortable for about 30 seconds, they did nothing to actually clear up my infection. So, begrudgingly I ended up in Urgent Care several days later. 

3) Under the stupor of my sinus infection, I somehow managed to lose the key to my in-laws apartment, which is also my "office." Of course I didn't realize I had lost the key until it was 7:50 am and I was trying to get into the apartment for an 8 am call. I'm starting to see a trend here... Since the apartment is on the second level I had the option of learning how to pole vault or call the property managers to lend me a spare for the day. The meeting was missed, my self confidence bruised, and I decided that 8:00 am is just not a good time for me. 

Fun things that happened while Colin was away:
1) Nana came to the rescue and drove up for a weekend visit. She helped to feed Norah in the wee hours of the morning, so I could sleep, changed all the dirty diapers, and was willing to peel about 6 pounds of apples so I could make two puny jars of applesauce. Thanks Mom! 

2) Norah finally decided that the Johnny Jump-up is a fun toy. 
3) We took a trip to the park and instead of watching the other kids play, Norah finally got to play just like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment